All OceanBluu products are Organic - certified by Control Union CU1003818. Becoming GOTS certified takes time and serious commitment, but quality health and sustainability are factors we cherish, thus for us GOTS certification is the only sustainable choice. By choosing to be GOTS certified we can ensure that our organic cotton is sourced and made ethically and sustainably from seed to final product.
What is GOTS?
The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) is the world's leading processing standard for textiles made from organic fibres. It defines high-level environmental criteria along the entire organic textiles supply chain and requires compliance with social criteria as well.
The aim is to define world-wide recognised standards that ensure organic status of textiles, from harvesting of the raw materials, through environmentally and socially responsible manufacturing up to labelling and to provide a credible assurance to the end consumer.
Textile industry workers are able to export organic fabrics and garments with one certification accepted in all major markets.
The standard covers the processing, manufacturing, packaging, labelling, trading and distribution of all textiles made from at least 70% certified organic natural fibres. A textile product carrying the GOTS label grade ‘organic’ must contain a minimum of 95% certified organic fibres whereas a product with the label grade ‘made with organic’ must contain a minimum of 70% certified organic fibres.
Processing and Manufacturing
Important Criteria for Processing and Manufacturing:
- At all stages through the processing organic fibre products must be separated from conventional fibre products and must to be clearly identified
- All chemical inputs must be evaluated and meeting basic requirements on toxicity and biodegradability
- Prohibition of critical inputs such as toxic heavy metals, formaldehyde, aromatic solvents, functional nano particles, genetically modified organisms (GMO) and their enzymes
- The use of synthetic sizing agents is restricted; knitting and weaving oils must not contain heavy metals
- Bleaches must be based on oxygen (no chlorine bleaching)
- Azo dyes that release carcinogenic amine compounds are prohibited
- Discharge printing methods using aromatic solvents and plastisol printing methods using phthalates and PVC are prohibited
- Restrictions for accessories (e.g. no PVC, nickel or chrome permitted)
- All operators must have an environmental policy including target goals and procedures to minimise waste and discharges
- Wet processing units must keep full records of the use of chemicals, energy, water consumption and waste water treatment, including the disposal of sludge. The waste water from all wet processing units must be treated in a functional waste water treatment plant.
- Packaging material must not contain PVC. Paper or cardboard used in packaging material, hang tags, swing tags etc. must be recycled or certified according to FSC or PEFC
Technical Quality and Human Toxicity Criteria
- Technical quality parameters must be met
- Raw materials, intermediates, final textile products as well as accessories must meet stringent limits regarding unwanted residues
Social criteria is based on the key norms of the International Labour Organisation (ILO) and must be met by all processors and manufacturers.
For more information please visit GOTS website.